This blog was created to combine two of my passions- reading and cooking. Often when I read a book I'm inspired to cook something they've been talking about. At the beginning of each month I will post the book to read, along with a recipe that compliments it or is mentioned in the book. Each month you can read along and post comments about what you think of the book. You can also cook along and post your comments or cook up something you wanted to make instead and let us know about it. Welcome and if you want to submit a suggestion for a book to read, let me know!

Monday, August 30, 2010

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins- Lamb Stew with dried plums


I have been waiting all year for Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins to come out.  And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.  I bought it the day it came out and tried really hard to draw it out over a few days instead of just staying up all night to read like I was tempted to do.  So for the next month post your thoughts about the book or try out the recipe I've posted and let me know how it turns out for you.  I just bought the ingredients at the store today, so we'll see how it turns out! 
 
Lamb Stew with Dried Plums (adapted from Mark Bittman’s The Best Recipes in the World)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 lbs lamb stew meat or lamb shoulder on the bone
1 onion, sliced 
2 1/2 C stock
1 1/2 cups pitted prunes or plums
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
Preparation: Heat the olive oil on high in a dutch oven or non-stick saucepan with a lid; add the meat and brown all over.  Remove meat with a slotted spoon and set aside.  Add the onion to the pot, adding more olive oil if the pan is too dry.  Cook until onions are soft, then add the meat back along with the stock.  Bring to a boil, cover, turn the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.  Add the prunes and simmer for another 30 minutes, or until the meat is tender and prunes are soft.  The stew can be stored at this point for up to two days in the fridge.  When ready to serve, stir in the vinegar, and heat through 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment